Return to Home Page for St. Michael Church
   
NEW PHOTOS:
History of St. Michael Parish
Picture Gallery of St. Michael Parish

History of St. Michael Parish

As Byzantine Catholics were emigrating from Eastern Europe to the United States, work opportunities became available in the automobile industry of Michigan, particularly in the Flint area.

During 1916 and 1917 money was raised to purchase five city lots on North and Addison Streets for construction of a church. On July 4, 1917, the young Byzantine community under the patronage of St. Michael the Archangel, witnessed the blessing of the church cornerstone. The church was solemnly blessed on Labor day, 1917. From 1917 to 1920, the parish was unable to secure the services of a full-time pastor. Occasional services were held by priests who already were serving in the established communities of Detroit and toledo. With the purchase of a rectory in 1920, Rev. Jason Kovach became the first resident pastor. St. Michael became the mother church to St. Nicholas Church, Detroit.

In the late 1930's, a hall was purchased two blocks from the parish grounds on Tilden Street and became known as Tilden Hall. This hall served as the center for religious education classes and social activities of the parish.

With the growth of the parish it became necessary to relocate. In 1951, five and one-half acres were purchased on the corner of West Pierson and Fleming Roads. An architect was engaged in 1953 to complete plans and specifications for an octagonal church. On May 9, 1954, ground was broken for a new church. Construction on the new church was begun and was completed in 1954. The first Liturgy in the new church was celebrated on December 9, 1954.

After selling Tilden Hall, the parish realized the necessity of a larger hall and began to formulate plans for building one on the new property. The new activity center, dedicated on June 9, 1963, was complete with three classrooms, a club room, a completely modern kitchen, as well as a large gym/auditorium.

St. Michael's once again recognized the missionary call of the Church and sought out Byzantine Catholics living in the Midland-Saginaw area. A former Synagogue was acquired and renamed St George Byzantine Catholic Church. By coincidence, St. George parish was incorporated on October 2, 1967, fifty years after the founding of St. Michael Church.

With the shifting migration of parishioners to the Flint suburbs, it again became necessary to relocate. In July 1970, St. Michael's purchased 65 acres of property in Flushing, MI. Construction of a new facility began in 1983 which included a church, rectory, hall, kitchen and classroom area. The new church and facility were blessed and dedicated on November 11, 1984.

St. Michael's primary goals as expressed in the parish mission statement are evangelization, Service of the Law Apostolate, religious education, worship and community. The parish utilizes an active pastoral and finance council. Several service-oriented apostolates witness to the challenges of the gospel.

Go to top of this page

Picture Gallery

Our Church at Night

 

MATINS
Divine Liturgy
Procession
Luncheon

Akathist to St. John the Baptist

 

Exterior of St. Michael Church Complex
 
Exterior of St. Michael Church Complex
 
Exterior of St. Michael Byzantine Catholic Church
 
Interior of St. Michael Church at Dormition of The Mother of God
 
Interior of St. Michael Church at Christmas
 
Icon of the Nativity at Christmas
 

 

Go to top of this page